Monday, January 03, 2005

Tsunami Relief - Help You Can Offer

Often, when large scale disasters strike, I think a lot of people feel the situation is just so big that it is beyond them to help. But when everything that you have has been swept away, receiving a small thing suddenly becomes a very big deal. Never underestimate the power in reaching out.

At first I thought I would not blog about the Tsunami in Asia because there was so much out there already. Then, two things happened. First, I was asked by two different people where I thought they should send a donation. Secondly, by way of BuzzMachine, I came across Anders Jacobsen:

"Whether you give money, time or whether you decide to share your link-power; if you create a post on your weblog front page or create permanent links in your blogroll and link to the below organizations, then link to my blog and this posting, I will pay US$ 1 to the British Red Cross."

Yes I will, Anders. And thank you!

*(I favor Oxfam, by the way, due to high percentage of the money going for relief as opposed to administrative, but a list of good reputable organizations appears below and now on the right sidebar under "Tsunami Relief").

International aid organizations:
UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund)
United Nations' World Food Programme
Medecins Sans Frontieres / Doctors without Borders (donate!)
CARE International
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies

UK/Europe:
Disasters Emergency Comittee (DEC) - comprises a raft of aid agencies, including the below and others
British Red Cross
Save the Children UK

North America:
American Red Cross
Canadian Red Cross
Save The Children

Anders Jacobsen: Webloggers: Give to tsunami victims and I'll give too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home